A Debt Management Plan (DMP) is an informal arrangement between you and your creditors which allows you to repay your debts in full at a rate that you can afford.Check to see if you qualify
In a DMP, we negotiate with your creditors to accept lower monthly repayments based on what you can realistically afford. We also work to obtain a freeze on interest and charges.
Is a DMP right for me?
A DMP is designed to reduce your monthly repayments towards your debts making them more affordable. If you are struggling to cover the cost of living and the payments towards your debts as they fall due, then a DMP might be right for you. To assess your suitability for a DMP, we will need to have a full understanding of your current situation. Our advisors will need to review details of your income, expenditure and level of debt to see if a DMP is right for you.
Advantages to a DMP
- A DMP is designed to be affordable. You will only pay what you can afford.
- A DMP is an informal arrangement; it can be cancelled or changed at any time.
- Creditors will often freeze interest and charges.
- You can repay your debts without needing a loan or a remortgage
Disadvantages of a DMP
- As the arrangement is informal, creditors can still pursue further action.
- Although they often do, creditors are not obliged to freeze interest and charges.
- If you are no longer meeting your contractual payments, default notices will be issued and appear on your credit report.
- Although DMPs are designed to be affordable, it may take you longer and cost more in the long run to repay your debts.
The fees we charge we believe are fair and cover:-
- Review of your engagement pack and supporting documentation to ensure a DM plan is still appropriate
- Drafting your plan, sending this to creditors, chasing up responses and ultimately gaining creditors approval of your offer
- Dealing with creditors’ queries
- Monitoring your payments and distributing these to creditors within 5 working days of your funds clearing our DM account
The fee we charge to cover our services is calculated at 17.5% of your monthly payment, subject to a minimum of £25.00 if your monthly payment is £99.99 or less and a minimum of £30.00 if your monthly payment is £100.00 or more. Our maximum management fee is capped at £100.00.
During the first 6 months of your plan there is an additional charge to the work of setting up your plan, which is calculated as:-
- Up to 5 active creditors £10 per month
- 6 – 10 active Creditors £15 per month
- 11 + creditors £20 per month
Creditors will receive a reduced payment during this time of not less than 52% of your monthly payment. You may go in to arrears or further arrears during this period but these arrears will be included in your plan.
All debt solutions should be very carefully considered. Fees will be charged if a solution is taken in order for us to set up your plan and maintain it – all fees will be outlined during your consultation. Retained payment may place you further into arrears. You have the right to a cooling off period of 14 days. It is likely that your ability to obtain further credit in the short term will be affected and this may also be the case over the medium to long term.
There is free debt help and advice available through a variety of debt charities. For more information, we recommend you visit https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/tools/debt-advice-locator
Contact Debt Advisory Service